Division: Northland Utilities
Location: Yellowknife, NWT
Relocation will be offered to the successful candidate
Yellowknife is a designated community and a comprehensive northern benefit package will be provided, including:
- An additional 5% of base salary (northern allowance)
- An additional $650 a month (northern allowance)
- Additional 5 days’ vacation for North of 60 positions and 2 travel days
- Travel allowance administered bi-annually in January and July of each year
Always there. Anywhere. That’s us! We are committed to delivering inspired solutions for a better world. We care about our communities, we care about each other, and we care about showing up for those who need us. We value and encourage different perspectives and we have the courage to do the right thing, even when it’s hard.
Under the direction and leadership of the Supervisor, Operations this position is responsible for the construction, operation and maintenance of the Transmission and Distribution system, equipment and company facilities in accordance with company standards, policies and procedures, and other regulatory requirements and will be expected to actively participate in setting and achieving personal goals. The position is also key in the delivery of superior customer service and maintaining positive customer relations. Work will also require assisting in the development of PLT Apprentice positions and other new employees.
We’re looking for someone who cares about their work and strives for more each day. Someone who challenges the status quo, embraces change, and thrives in a collaborative work environment. If you are someone who approaches work with passion, curiosity and the courage to innovate, then this role is for you.
What You Get to Do:
- Constructs, operates, inspects and maintains overhead and underground power lines, substation and related apparatus.
- Constructs, operates, inspects installs and maintains street lighting systems, including poles, relays, lamps, ballasts.
- Works on energized electrical circuits, including live line processes necessary to perform work.
- Performs system switching, ensuring adherence to Electrical Operation Standards and necessary clearances/permits are obtained.
- Assists in the supervision of contracted labour (construction crews, hydrovac etc).
- Carries out maintenance and planned programs and system inspections in accordance with yearly plan and ensures proper documentation.
- Assists electrical technicians in the installation and maintenance of electrical equipment.
- Assists in commissioning new construction for compliance and operating needs.
- Identifies and evaluates operating problems and assists in determining long term/short term solutions. This includes diagnosing oh/ug faults for cause.
- Performs standby duties, including emergency response.
- Schedules outages and prepares switching orders.
- Installs and uses electrical apparatus, including regulators, reclosers, gang switches, fusing.
- Assists and participates in the budget process.
- Interpret and applies applicable terms, conditions and policies.
- Responds to customer service requests, (connect, disconnect and collection), power quality issues etc. in a complete and timely manner.
- Investigate, assess and recommend corrective actions to customer complaints.
- Participates and assists in the organization of company sponsored community relations activities.
- Determine routing and coordination for hi-load moves.
- Installs, verifies and reads electrical meters.
- Shipping and storage of meters.
- Completes U/G locates and the required documentation.
- Provides accurate field checks.
- Maintains knowledge of various systems (Oracle, Okta, MS Word, Excel and Outlook).
- Adheres to applicable safety and environmental standards, & regulations.
- Performs safety audits and promotes safe work practices.
- Identifies and corrects unsafe working conditions.
- Safely operates and maintains company vehicles and equipment.
- Participates in safety meetings, helping to identify and resolve issues in a constructive manner.
- Provides and contributes to daily work plans and completes job safety analysis.
- Promotes public safety awareness within the communities, industries etc through presentations and education.
- Exercises good environmental practices.
- Assists in incident investigations (public and internal) as required.
- Establishes personal developmental objectives.
- Undertakes a temporary assignment to a higher classification or position if requested.
- Read, compile and maintain records, drawings as required.
- Successfully complete and applies all training & development opportunities.
- May lead, coach and mentor apprentices and co-workers as required.
- Other duties as assigned, based on operational needs.
- Duties assigned will be based on employee competencies and training.
- High school diploma.
- Valid Journeyman Powerline Technician Certificate.
- Ability to obtain Interprovincial Red Seal.
- Minimum 4 years’ experience through a Powerline apprenticeship program.
- Valid Class 5 vehicle operator’s license.
- Ability to obtain Class 1 or Class 3 Operator’s License.
- Valid First Aid Certificate.
- Demonstrated knowledge of live line techniques using bare hand, sticks and 25kv rubber glove work achieved through live line training is preferred.
- Previous on call and troubleshooting experience preferred.
- A proven safe work record, including diver’s abstract.
- Demonstrated skills in training of apprentices and development of team and individual performance.
- Personal computer experience is an asset.
What We Offer:
- A culture based on caring, integrity, agility, collaboration, and striving for excellence
- Competitive compensation
- Flex benefits
- Tuition assistance program
- Training and mentorship programs
- Charitable donation matching
We would like to thank everyone for their application; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
Northland Utilities is part of ATCO Ltd. With approximately 6,000 employees and assets of $23 billion, ATCO is a diversified global holding corporation with investments in Structures & Logistics (workforce housing, innovative modular facilities, construction, site support services, and logistics and operations management), Energy Infrastructure (electricity generation, transmission and distribution; natural gas transmission, distribution and infrastructure development; energy storage and industrial water solutions; and electricity and natural gas retail sales), Transportation (ports and transportation logistics) and Commercial Real Estate. More information can be found at www.ATCO.com. ATCO is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law.
This position is administered under the Northland Utilities and United Utility Workers’ Association (UUWA) Collective Agreement, Job Posting provisions.
For inquiries please contact Shaun Lyons email@example.com
Job Identification 13946