Division: Northern Development
Location: Whitehorse, YT
Always there. Anywhere. That’s us! We are committed to delivering inspired solutions for a better world. We care about our communities, we care about each other, and we care about showing up for those who need us. We value and encourage different perspectives and we have the courage to do the right thing, even when it’s hard.
This position is responsible for the construction, operation and maintenance of the Distribution system, equipment and company facilities in accordance with company standards, policies and procedures, the Alberta Utility Code and other regulatory requirements and will be expected to actively participate in setting and achieving personal and district goals. The position is also key in the delivery of superior customer service and maintaining positive customer relations. Work will also require assisting in the development of PLT Apprentice positions and other new employees.
We’re looking for someone who cares about their work and strives for more each day. Someone who challenges the status quo, embraces change, and thrives in a collaborative work environment. If you are someone who approaches work with passion, curiosity and the courage to innovate, then this role is for you.
What You Get to Do:
- Constructs, operates, inspects, and maintains overhead and underground power lines, substation, and related apparatus.
- Constructs, operates, inspects installs and maintains street lighting systems, including poles, relays, lamps, ballasts.
- Works on energized electrical circuits, including live line processes necessary to perform work.
- Performs system switching, ensuring adherence to Electrical Operation Standards and necessary clearances/permits are obtained.
- Assists in the supervision of contracted Labour (construction crews, hydrovac etc.).
- Carries out maintenance and planned programs and system inspections in accordance with yearly plan and ensures proper documentation.
- Assists electrical technicians in the installation and maintenance of electrical equipment.
- Assists in commissioning new construction for compliance and operating needs.
- Identifies and evaluates operating problems and assists in determining long term/short term solutions. This includes diagnosing oh/ug faults for cause.
- Performs standby duties, including emergency response.
- Schedules outages and prepares switching orders.
- Installs and uses electrical apparatus, including regulators, reclosers, gang switches, fusing.
- Assists and participates in the budget process.
- Interpret and applies applicable terms, conditions, and policies.
- Responds to customer service requests, (connect, disconnect and collection), power quality issues etc. in a complete and timely manner.
- Investigate, assess, and recommend corrective actions to customer complaints.
- Participates and assists in the organization of company sponsored community relations activities.
- Determine routing and coordination for hi-load moves.
- Installs, verifies, and read electrical meters.
- Shipping and storage of meters.
- Completes U/G locates and the required documentation.
- Provides accurate field checks.
- Maintains knowledge of various systems (Oracle, Okta, MS Word, Excel, and Outlook).
- Adheres to applicable safety and environmental standards, & regulations.
- Performs safety audits and promotes safe work practices.
- Identifies and corrects unsafe working conditions.
- Safely operates and maintains company vehicles and equipment.
- Participates in safety meetings, helping to identify and resolve issues in a constructive manner.
- Provides and contributes to daily work plans and completes job safety analysis.
- Promotes public safety awareness within the communities, industries etc. through presentations and education.
- Exercises good environmental practices.
- Assists in incident investigations (public and internal) as required.
- Establishes personal developmental objectives.
- Undertakes a temporary assignment to a higher classification or position if requested.
- Read, compile, and maintain records, drawings as required.
- Successfully complete and applies all training & development opportunities.
- May lead, coach and mentor apprentices and co-workers as required.
- Other duties as assigned, based on operational needs.
- Duties assigned will be based on employee competencies and training.
- High School diploma
- Valid Journeyman Power Lineman Certificate.
- Ability to obtain Interprovincial Red Seal.
- Valid Class 5 vehicle operator’s license.
- Ability to obtain Class 1 or Class 3 Operator’s License.
- Valid First Aid Certificate.
- Minimum 4 years’ experience through a Powerline apprenticeship program.
- Demonstrated knowledge of live line techniques using 25kv rubber glove work achieved through live line training is preferred.
- Ability to operate heavy equipment using a variety of hand and foot controls.
- Previous on call and troubleshooting experience preferred.
- A proven safe work record, including diver’s abstract.
- Demonstrated skills in training of apprentices and development of team and individual performance.
- Personal computer experience and asset.
The successful candidate will be expected to reside in the location’s designated area and provide after-hours coverage. This position may require the candidate to work away from home base.
Whitehorse is a designated community and a comprehensive northern benefit package will be provided, including;
- An additional 5% of base salary (northern allowance)
- An additional $600 a month (northern allowance)
- Additional 5 days’ vacation for North of 60 positions
We would like to thank everyone for their application; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
ATCO Electric is part of ATCO Ltd. ATCO delivers inspired solutions for a better world. We are a diversified global corporation with investments in the essential services of Structures & Logistics, Utilities, Energy Infrastructure, Retail Energy, Transportation and Commercial Real Estate. Learn more about how we build communities, energize industries and deliver customer-focused solutions like no other company in the world at www.atco.com. ATCO is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Visit our website for more information.
This position is administered under the ATCO Electric Yukon and Canadian Energy Workers Association Collective Agreement, Job Posting provisions.
For inquiries please contact Shaun Lyons firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Identification 14062